Reminiscences of Oxford
Homes and People
By B. H. Davis
Published July-1914 in THE SEYMOUR RECORD

Chapter 13

Leaving the Maples, the house of Hiram Osborn, we proceed north and ascend quite a steep hill, until we reach the plateau. The first house we come to is an old structure built in the early part of the 18th century and like many of the old houses on this street, was built from the timber from the virgin forest, hewed by the carpenters.  The shingles which cover the house were rent and shaved by long and patient toil. who the builder was we are unable to learn, but it is a wonderful piece of architecture.

This house was owned by Horace Cable, who with two other brothers, Roswell and Orlando, came from Monroe, all locating in Oxford. Horace was actively identified with the hatting industry in Oxford for many years, until it was abandoned, then he turned his attention to farming. He married Mrs. Ann Booth, a widow lady of Monroe who had two daughters by her former husband. Mary Booth, who married William Bronson of Oxford, who built the house now owned and occupied by Chas. Myers on the Oxford road. Sarah Booth, the youngest daughter died early in life, was never married.

Some time after the death of Mr. Cable the place was purchased by Charles Beecher, who resided there for several years. Then it came into the possession of Geo. Andrews. After a few years he sold it to a foreigner named Daniel Marks, who still owns and occupies the place. The house was recently renovated on the outside and now presents a very respectable appearance.

(NOTE:  This house is  #132 in the EARLY HOUSES OF OXFORD, CONNECTICUT book, published 1976, Historic House Committee of  Oxford's Bicentennial Commission).

A little further north we come to the Elm Grove Stock Farm. This house was built in 1796 and was owned by Enos Lum, who lived there all his long and useful life. He married Lois Osborn, daughter of Hiram and Sarah Finch Osborn. He was a stone mason and was engaged all during the construction of the Naugatuck R. R. in building bridges and other mason work. He was also employed in the same capacity on the Housatonic R. R. for a long time. After these roads were completed he engage d in farming until enfeebled by old age and infirmities. He then retired from active labor and passed the rest of his life in ease and comfort.

When his son Fred returned from California he gave his father $500 in gold coin. the old man fearing to keep so much money in the house buried it in some secluded spot, and before he died did not reveal the hiding place. But designated a rock at the west of the house. Diligent search was made for the gold but it could not be found. Finally he secured the services of a man in Middlebury named Wooster, who had the reputation of discovering buried treasure. He came and with his divining rod went over the whole farm, but with no result, and as Fred reported afterwards, the only thing that he located was the pork and cider barrels in the cellar, both of which were empty soon after. The  money has neve been found and very likely never will be unless by accident.

The place was afterwards sold to ? Roberts who renovated the old house and built an up to date farm, and for many years engaged in breeding and raising thoroughbred horses. It was an ideal place for the business.

Enos Lum died April 17, 1875, aged 79. Lois Osborn Lum, his wife, died May 6 ~, aged ~

Many a good colt raised on the Elm Grove Stock farm has become prominent on the race track.

The place is now owned by the Linewebber Bros. Who are largely engaged in the production of milk, selling about 400 quarts a day.

(NOTE:  This o house #131 in the EARLY HOUSES OF OXFORD, CONNECTICUT book, published 1976, Historic House Committee of  Oxford's Bicentennial Commission).

A little farther on we come to another old landmark, a one-story, low-roofed house standing back a short distance from the road. It was built in the later years of the 17th century and for many years was the home of Everett Hubbell, who married Jane F. Sperry of Oxford. Nine children were born to them, eight sons and one daughter, Samuel, Elizabeth, John, Charles, Henry, Frederick, Wales, Lewis, George.

Samuel married  twice. Maria Hawkins, of Oxford, was his first wife and Miss Patterson for his second. He is a stone mason by trade and at the age of 82 is able to perform a good day's work and is remarkably well preserved for a man of his years. He was foreman of mason work at the time of the building of the Housatonic R. R. and was also employed on the Naugatuck R. R. in the same capacity. he lives three quarters of a mile north of the Center on what was once the Warner Place.

Elizabeth, the only daughter of Everett and Jane Hubbell, married Leonard Hotchkiss of Oxford and lived just north of the Hubbell homestead. She died early in life, leaving one daughter, Minnie.

John married Celestia Whittlesey, of Naugatuck, and lived for many years near Long Meadow pond, in the north part of Oxford.  Since the death of his wife he has lived on the Riggs street road in the old Samuel Riggs place. He is now in feeble health and is living with his son, Charles Hubbell, in Seymour.

Charles, the third son, married Mary Ford. Both died many years ago.

Henry, the fourth son, married Bridget Murry, of Oxford, and lived on his farm on the Governor's Hill road.  He died very suddenly about the year 1871.

Wales, the fifth son, died of lockjaw caused by being bitten by a vicious horse, while a young man.

Frederick W., the sixth son, married Alice Gates, of Bethlehem, Conn., and has lived in Oxford all his life.  He had charge of the town farm for 19 years and has filled many offices of trust in the town and is at present second selectman and has charge of the road work. He now owns and occupies the place at the foot of Christian Street Road.

Lewis, the 7th son, married Vivian Whittlesey, of Oxford, and has lived for the last ~ years in Stratford, engaged in farming.

George, the younger son, married Susan Ward, daughter of Peter Ward, of Oxford. He lives on the old homestead and is engaged in farming. He has filled several offices of trust in the town and is known as an honest man and an upright citizen.

(NOTE:  The Hubbell home is house #130  in the EARLY HOUSES OF OXFORD, CONNECTICUT book, published 1976, Historic House Committee of  Oxford's Bicentennial Commission).

The next place on our journey is known as the Williams homestead, another old landmark that has stood the storms of 188 years and is still in a good state of preservation.  It is owned and occupied by Ransom Hinman, son of Anthony B. Hinman, late of Bethany. He married Alice Williams, of Oxford. He is a carpenter and works on the farm in connection with his trade. He is identified with St. Peter's Church and is an active worker in the interest of the society.

Return to Reminiscences of Oxford Table of Contents